We Are Committed to Sustainable Business Practices
Atlanta School of Massage seeks to play a meaningful role in supporting the health and well-being of people and their communities by cultivating and promoting the vital connections between personal well-being, economic sustainability, and the health of our planet.
As future professionals in the business of health and wellness, it is helpful to understand the direct link between health of the environment and that of society. Human health is directly dependent on our natural resources and the healthy balance of the planet. The potential to be a green pioneer in the field of massage is not only good for the planet but also lends greater credibility to your practice.
The spa industry typically utilizes environmental resources for a wide array of water-based treatments, laundry services and disposable items used in spa services. It is a major consumer of water, energy, and natural resources. Adopting green practices not only reduces environmental impact, but also reduces water and energy costs and raises environmental awareness among spa clientele.
There are many little things we can all do to make a difference. As a student, we ask that you support us in our commitment to sustainable business practices.
Atlanta School of Massage green practices and improvement include:
- Atlanta School of Massage is passionate about finding ways for spas to become places where the journey to personal wellness is unified with the journey to planetary wellness. As a member of the Green Spa Network, we share knowledge and resources with fellow members in an effort to make a positive, lasting environmental impact throughout our industry.
- The massage program adopted a new, certified organic, non-toxic massage product line, Sacred Earth Botanicals.
- Ayurvedic Spa Treatments: Ayurveda utilizes the curative properties from nature that encourage the body and skin to restore its own vitality and beauty. Tara Ayurvedic Essential Oils include organic, wild-crafted and pesticide-free oils from farmers around the world.
- Lotus Moon formulations involve careful selection and combination of ingredients found in nature and the latest in scientific, ‘green’, organic and natural ingredient technologies in order to achieve the best possible end-result. Products are Petrochemical Free, Paraben-Free, Sulfate-Free, and Phthalate-Free.
- Sacred Earth Botanicals focuses on certified organic ingredients, environmentally friendly packaging, and sustainable business practices. Their massage products have been thoughtfully developed with the health of the therapist, client, and the environment in mind.
- COOLA Natural Mineral SunCare hydrates your skin with vitamins, antioxidants and repairing extracts like Shea Butter and Borage Seed Oil that target early signs of aging. Naturally water-resistant phyto-protectors like Plankton boost SPF protection. 70% Certified Organic 95% Natural.
- Chico Reusable Bags are fashionable, environmentally friendly reusable shopping bags designed to reduce single-use bag waste.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle:
- We have installed hand dryers in restrooms that save 35 trees a year.
- We recycle approximately 1816 pounds of aluminum, 9137 pounds of plastic, and 21,091 pounds. of cardboard and paper annually.
- Reusable water bottles are given to all staff members.
- New carpet purchased for SensAbility is made of recycled materials. The old carpet was recycled.
- We print marketing materials on paper with the highest amount of post-consumer recycled content available, and they are printed with vegetable-based, non-toxic inks.
- The SensAbility™ furnishings are made from renewable woods and soy-based foam and fibers.
Sanitation and Laundry
- We use environmentally-responsible laundry detergent made of 100% biodegradable, non-toxic, replenishable ingredients.
- Our cleaning company utilizes environmentally-friendly products and methods that contribute to a cleaner, safer and healthier environment.
- We save an average of 82,000 gallons of water annually through water conservation methods.
- We purchased three water coolers, each containing a 3-stage filter which eliminates chlorine, pesticides, herbicides, parasites, and over sixty different harmful chemicals.
- Timers placed on three hydroculators reduces energy use by 25-30%.
- We replaced approximately 100 incandescent light bulbs with CFL’s, reducing energy and costs for lighting by 80%.